It can be difficult to think outside of the box. But in order to be a successful writer, you have to stop being fearful and try new things.
Here are a few tips to ensure that you think outside of the box in your writing career so that you can be productive as a writer.
• Every once in a while, try a new kind of writing, something thing that makes you think right out of the box.
• It is okay to try to write in a new genre for a while and then to quit and move back to the type of writing you know you’re good at.
• Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes are a normal part of the learning curve for writers.
• Surround yourself with energetic writers who will encourage you to try new types of writing.
• Get a writing partner whom you could trust and who will stretch you.
• Join a vibrant and encouraging critique group.
• Journal about your fears. By becoming aware of them, you will be taking important steps to overcome your fears.
• Don’t hang around negative writers.
• Don’t let family members influence your writing and distract you from your true goals.
• Become aware of all the negative things that you tell yourself. Write them in your journal on one side of page in a row. Then on the opposite side of the page, write positive statements for those negative statements.
This will make a world of difference in your attitudes about yourself and your abilities to write.
Writers cannot afford to be negative and fearful. We have to step outside of ourselves sometimes to try new and different things. Only in this way can we aim to become more successful, productive and happy!
Irene S. Roth