The Importance of Focussing
Irene S. Roth
August 11th, 2010
Focussing is the hardest thing that writers must do in order to
be successful. But focussing is all-important because without
focussing, no writer can be consistently successful.
Yet, for the beginning writer, and even the more mature one,
focussing is very difficult. It seems that there are tons of
distraction every day for the writer. And if the writer isn’t
disciplined, he can really waste a lot of time.
So, how can a writer stay focussed? I have found that a few
things really do work. Here are a few:
1. Set an alarm clock for an hour or so and try to do as much as
you can within that time. When the alarm goes off, you will have
to either switch to another activity, or switch gear, from reading to
2. Turn the ringer off your phone. Try and limit the distraction
of someone calling you and wanting to talk to you for a half an
hour. This can sabotage your whole writing day.
3. Do a bit of mind focussing before you start. Just close your
eyes, and breathe deeply. Become aware of your immediate
surroundings. Do this a couple times a day.
4. Do the most important writing activities first. That will
inspire you to continue to work hard throughout the day.
5. Intersperse different types of activities throughout your day.
This will help you to avoid boredom.
6. Eat healthy, and sleep at least eight hours a day. This will all
help to keep you focussed and healthy.
~ Happy writing fellow writers!