Writers of picture books have to think about their audience as they are
writing. There are so many different people who will be reading your picture
book, from movie stars to just ordinary folks who are trying to put their kids
Since this is the case, your words must give the reader plenty of
opportunity to sound dramatic and interesting so that the child and the adult
reading the book won’t be too bored. This the difficult to bring about at first.
But with practice, you will become a master at it.
Here are a few tips as to how to do that.
1. Avoid using words that even adults may have problems pronouncing.
2. Write short, punchy sentences to keep the action moving and the
3. Use a lot of dialogue. And don’t tell but show your message in the
4. Use a lot of words with sensory details. Show something feels through
by using vivid words and catchy phrases.
5. Try to write in a poetic manner as much as possible. Understand poetry
and know how to use it in your writing. It will really help to get your
So, try some of these tips when writing your next picture book
manuscript. You should have a manuscript that is really rhythmical and
interesting for children. And the adults will enjoy reading them as well.